SARGENT Manufacturing Company
1810, the Sargent family entered the hardware business, beginning
the trail that eventually led to the present SARGENT Manufacturing
Joseph Bradford Sargent and his two brothers operated a wholesale
hardware business in New York City, and subsequently obtained an
interest in one of their suppliers, the Peck and Walter
Manufacturing Company of New Britain, CT. This company was the
predecessor to the present SARGENT Manufacturing Company.
The Sargent brothers bought full ownership of the New Britain firm
in 1857. Seven years later, in 1864, they moved the factory to New
Haven to be closer to the sea for shipping purposes and the
delivery of raw materials, and incorporated under the laws of
Connecticut as SARGENT & Co.
SARGENT’s original New Haven location was along Water Street (on
land now occupied by the Teletrack Theatre and The Maritime
Building(s) with a portion of the plant bordering Wallace and
Hamilton Street. Prior to the Sargent brothers acquiring this
property, it was owned by such historical names as colonial patriot
Jesse Leavenworth (1760), Benedict Arnold (1778), Eli Whitney
(1807), and the Fulton Steamboat Company (1817).